This article was originally published on mikewchan.com.
What motivates you? What lights a fire under your ass to get things done? Here are some of the things that get me going:
- Progress and momentum — just a little bit of progress each day, in any form, goes a long way.
- Creating change — being able to witness my impact on a project, event, or person inspires me to create more change.
- Collaborating with smart people — they open my eyes to new insights, approaches and techniques and help me improve.
- Getting stuff done with hard-working people — people who just put their head down and crank out work are inspiring.
- Great ideas — many claim that ideas are worthless. While I agree that ideas without execution are worthless, great ideas are the beginning of unforgettable journeys that change the world.
- A cause — believing in a cause and a singular mission gives me direction in every decision I make and every thing I do.
- Seeing others succeed — when I see others succeed, I want to join them in their success.
- Taking risks — if I’m not taking risks and getting out of my comfort zone everyday, I’m not making the most of my time. I like taking risks and love seeing others do the same.
- Goals — setting and documenting clear, quantifiable goals (like my 2015 New Years resolutions) forces me to stay motivated to achieve them.
What motivates you to get things done?